Have you heard of Kizomba? Do you think it’s a Latin type of dance style? Well you would be wrong! Kizomba doesn’t only refer to a dance style but also a type of music.
It came to life in Angola, back in the 1980s/1990s and has its roots in zouk. This is a Caribbean dance with a fast rhythm; a great mix of traditional kizomba music and semba (another form of Angolan dance/music).
So now we know the start of the Kizomba dance story, what happened after that? Well needless to say, the dance grew in popularity with people falling in love with its exciting, fast-paced and romantic overtones.
What is kizomba?
And if you’re not a great follower of dance steps, you don’t need to worry. Kizomba has no basic steps. All you have to do is go with the music, dancing intuitively and sexily with your partner.
“Dance is the hidden language of the soul.”
― Martha Graham
Get together with four or five different moves and you have cracked it.
5 Reasons why you must try Kizomba!
We have found at least five reasons why you need to try kizomba. Here’s our take on them.
- Upbeat – if you didn’t feel happy before, start moving with the upbeat and fast-paced music and your soul will fly. The moves aren’t complex. The technique is to keep moving with the beat and as you do so, the feeling is totally invigorating and elating.
- Challenging – whilst the kizomba basic steps are not complex, that doesn’t mean the dance is easy. It asks a lot from you, pushing you to give your all and not care about who’s watching. The challenge is to stay connected to your partner, so that you move as one. Even experienced dancers can find this tough.
- Romantic – when you are doing the kizomba in the right way, there should be no gap between you and your partner. If you love getting up close and personal whilst moving with exciting and sensual music, then this is the perfect dance. Feel free to use it to express passion and emotion as you move.
- Matchless – this may seem like a basic dance but what makes it unique is the moves and feelings involved. Here you have a music and dance like no other. It may get confused with other dances, like the tango, but this is truly one-of-a-kind.
- Intense – think passionate and hot-blooded and you have kizomba. With non-stop action to kizomba songs, it’s a truly thrilling experience to take part in. Be prepared to let your inhibitions go and create a performance that truly stops hearts.
Make a date with your local dance studio
There you have it. Our 5 reasons why you must try kizomba classes. Get started and you will soon be adding many more of your own. If you’d like to try it out, research ‘kizomba near me’ online and get in touch with your local dance studio. Don’t be bashful. Whether you are a total novice who has never experienced anything like this before or you simply want to improve your skills, it is a winner at all levels.
Get a date into your diary today. Not only will you experience a fabulous way of dancing, but you might get in touch with parts of your personality that you never knew existed!